Be Our Guest

Welcome to "Music is My Life (and some other stuff too). Each title is from a song, and there will be a minimum of 1 post every week. This is an experiment for sharing my thoughts and ideas on the world through a (hopefully) interesting perspective. Some things that will pop-up frequently in my writing:
-Disney
-Harry Potter
-The Beatles
-Lord of the Rings
-College
-Books
-Film
-Doctor Who
-Plays
...and so much more.

Hello, goodbye!

C-Rope

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Firebird

This past weekend, I went on the FDU Honors Program trip to Portland, Maine. We attended the Northeast Region Honors Conference. It is held in a different city every year (next year is Baltimore, and 2013 will be in Philly), I had to write a proposal for a paper that I then wrote and presented at the conference. The theme this year was “Resurgam” which is Latin for “I will Rise Again.”

My paper was on Harry Potter as the first thing I thought about after reading the conference theme was Fawkes the Phoenix. I decided to explore the theme of humanity as it pertains to rebirth in Rowling’s septet. Voldemort is a negative rebirth that destroys humanity, creating a twisted mockery of what was there before. This descent from humanity is accompanied by a distinct physical change and the marked loss of remorse. Voldemort goes bald, his eyes become red slits, and his nose is that of a snake; he also feels no remorse when he kills, and he kills often. The positive rebirth sheds the negative aspects of the person to let them grow. This is seen in Fawkes and Harry (but I won’t give any spoilers).

I wasn’t nervous about presenting my paper until it was my turn, and then my knees wouldn’t stop shaking, but it went of beautifully. I was more concerned about the Q&A, but since the room was full to bursting with Potter fans, it was so much fun to discuss the books we all know and love.

Humanity is such an interesting topic that I could discuss for hours. It defines us, makes us who we are. Without it, we cannot love, laugh, form attachments, get married, have relationships, experience loss, feel true pain and anguish, see the true good and bad things in life and then pick ourselves up and keep going. It is such a blessing and a curse, but somehow, I don't think we would want it any other way. The alternative is an imitation of existence, one that doesn't even begin to compare to the fullness and richness of the lives we currently lead. Even on the days when I wish everything would truly disappear, if I can remember just one reason that I am glad to be alive, somehow, everything else gets just a little bit brighter.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment